Saturday 20 June 2015

The waiting game

As I previous mentioned, we moved to a new country. Now in my head I was moving to the perfect new home which my husband found for us and I had only seen on WhatsApp. Now in my head it looked completely different than reality, but hey we are not bound here for life so for now it will do nicely.

I had to turn this house into a home, we had all the furniture any family needs as it was already furnished. I use the word furnished very loosely as we were kindly provided with a set of bright orange sofas which were great if you wore sunglasses all the time and were as comfortable as sitting on planks of wood. We knew we would be changing all the furniture. I say we, but really mean me. The big question was when! Again in my head I had redecorated the whole house in an hour, imagined where everything would go, where paintings would be hung and how the smell of freshly baked cookies would fill the air and we would all be living in perfect harmony. Cue the music!

Hahahaha, it was all in my head. The reality was I couldn’t go shopping around all the shops as I had no car, public transport is not an option and the taxi companies I would call would not show up at all as I had no clue where I lived or how to direct them. I lived in the desert, surrounded by dust, the kind that needs to be mopped and wiped five times a day and still you house is dusty. Uber did not exist yet! When I made my husband call the taxi company to come pick me up they took between 45 minutes to two hours. That’s not a great gap when you have to have two children to get ready.

My children learned the waiting game, they waited, I waited, we waited and waited and waited. We learned to wait for the taxi, we learned that the traffic lights take forever to turn green, we learned that our cargo takes forever to arrive and we learned that the day takes forever to end. We also waited for daddy to arrive home to relieve us from the boredom of the day. My greeting could have been, “oh darling! You are home, we made cookies for you and life is so wonderful”, instead it was “oh thank goodness you are home, please give them their bath because if I do it, I will drown them!”

After an eternity, my wait was finally over! We rented a car, our cargo arrived, I found a cute little nursery to take my two year old in for three mornings a week, my life could finally begin and we could start our new life! The waiting game was worth it as it made me appreciate all the little things in life…


2 comments: